Essentials For Things to Do in Los Angeles
A trip to Los Angeles is more than a trip to Beverly Hills and Hollywood. You will find that this vibrant city has more to offer, from exquisite cuisine to observatories and breathtaking canyons. Some of the best attractions in Los Angeles include the Hollywood sigh, the Hollywood walk of fame, and Griffith Park.
However, to make the most of your visit to Los Angeles, you must plan your trip carefully. It would help if you visited some of the most important tourist spots in Los Angeles, along with a few offbeat places. An easy way to plan your trip to the city would be to read a few travel blogs to understand the place and then plan things accordingly.
THE MUST-VISIT PLACES IN LOS ANGELES
A trip to Los Angeles must begin with a visit to some of the must-visit places in this sprawling city in California. Some of the most important places to visit in Los Angeles are as follows:
Griffith Park is one of the largest parks in North America, and the observatory sits on the south face of Mount Hollywood, overlooking the Los Angeles basin. A visit to the park and the observatory is a must on your list of things to do in Los Angeles. Here is what you can do in Griffith Park:
- The lush green surroundings of the park will give you excellent photo opportunities, and you will love taking pictures with your family with the Griffith Park observatory in the background.
- You can take long walks in the park and enjoy the exhibitions hosted by the observatory. This will make your trip memorable for both you and your family.
- The observatory has a planetarium, and you can catch a show anytime from Thursday to Friday, from noon to 10 PM. So, all you need to do is plan your trip to ensure that you can catch a show at Griffith Park Observatory.
Griffith Park and the observatory is one the best places to visit with your family, especially if you have young children. They will enjoy the beautiful grounds, the observatory, and the planetarium visit thoroughly.
MySittiVacation Pro Tip: When you plan your trip to Griffith Park and the observatory, it is important to set several hours to half a day aside to enjoy the entire park.
Visit the famous Hollywood sign.
No visit to Los Angeles is complete without a visit to the Hollywood sign. You must have seen pictures of it on postcards and even seen it in popular movies. However, the best way to get the best picture of the Hollywood sign is to take a hike up to Mount Lee; when you reach the top, you will be behind the Hollywood sign. The entire area is fenced off, and several cameras protect the sign from harm.
You can also go to the end of Beachwood drive and then take the trail along Sunset Ranch to reach the Hollywood sign. This is also a favorite trail for tourists who want to enjoy the beautiful view around the sign. A visit to the Hollywood sign is a must on your to-do list during a visit to Lost Angeles.
MySittiVacation Pro Tip: When you visit the Hollywood sign, take lots of pictures of it. Also, choose the best route for you and your friends. If you want to avoid hiking, you can take pictures of it from Griffith Observatory.
Suppose you want to see an architectural marvel, visiting the Getty Centre. Richard Meier designed the entire structure. The concrete and steel structure houses paintings and sculptures from the Renaissance and Baroque periods.
The Getty Centre also houses exhibitions of 20th-century photography. If you want to enjoy modern art and architecture, visiting the Getty Centre is a must. If you plan on visiting the Centre, you must opt for a guided tour. This will ensure you get all exhibitions in the Centre. You might only see the exhibitions if you visit the Centre with proper planning.
MySittiVacation Pro Tip: While planning your visit to the Getty Centre, you need to check the calendar of the Centre, which is available on the Getty Centre website. This will give you an idea of the exhibitions and shows, and you can plan your visit accordingly.
Santa Monica Pier and Beach
Planning a trip to Santa Monica Pier and Beach is essential when sightseeing in Los Angeles. It offers some of the best beaches in North America, and it also has an excellent nightlife. When you visit the Santa Monica Pier and Beach, you can be assured of the following:
- The three-mile-long beach is perfect for taking a walk and enjoying the beautiful sea and the sands with friends and family. The State Beach is one of the best beaches, and you can recognize it from the popular television series ‘Baywatch.’
- If you enjoy cycling, you can take a bicycle and cycle down a twenty-two-mile path known as The Strand, which has been made exclusively for cyclists. The path runs parallel to the Pacific Ocean and offers an excellent ocean and beach view.
- You can also ride on the Ferris wheel along the Pier while watching the Third Street Promenade.
MySittiVacation Pro Tip: When you visit the Santa Monica Pier and Beach, you should also plan to eat in one of the restaurants on the beach. It is the best way to enjoy the beach’s scenic beauty and ocean.
The Hollywood Walk of Fame runs for 2.1 km east to west on Hollywood Boulevard, from Gower Street to the Hollywood and La Brea Gateway at La Brea Avenue. This must feature in your list of things to do in Los Angeles. You must visit the Walk of fame and find the stars of your favorite Hollywood actors and actresses.
The Walk of Fame has nearly 2725 stars spaced at six-foot intervals. The primary attraction of the Walk is the coral-pink five-point stars laid around a charcoal-colored terrazzo. The name of the celebrity to whom the star belongs is engraved in the middle of the star. If you want to check out all the stars on the Walk of Fame, keep a few hours aside to visit it. Of course, it would help if you also took pictures with the star belonging to your favorite celebrity.
MySittiVacation Pro Tip: The Hollywood Walk of Fame can be pretty crowded, especially around celebrity stars. Hence, you should carefully plan your trip to the Walk of Fame and keep several hours aside to enjoy it.
THE BEST OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES TO PURSUE IN LOS ANGELES
Planning your trip to enjoy a few outdoor activities is essential when you visit Los Angeles. Some of the best outdoor activities to enjoy in Los Angeles are as follows:
- Enjoy a campfire on Dockweiler State Beach: One of the best ways to enjoy an evening out with friends and family is to have a barbeque on Dockweiler State Beach. There are several open pits on the beach, and you can quickly secure a ring by coming early. Then, you must bring lots of food and drinks to enjoy the breathtaking beauty of the beach and the ocean till sunset.
- Biking along the lesser-known beaches: If you are in the mood for adventure, you can keep a day aside to bike along the lesser-known beaches of Los Angeles. One of the most beautiful trails is along the Marvin Braude Trail, which runs under the palm trees nestled along the sea beach.
- Sailing to Catalina Island for snorkeling: Catalina Island off the coast of Los Angeles is the perfect getaway to spend a day snorkeling and swimming in the crystal blue waters. You can charter a boat and enjoy a day-long trip on the Island. The primary reason for snorkeling is to enjoy the coral reefs and the kelp forests.
- Hiking to Mount Baldy: If you have an adventurous soul, the best way to satisfy it would be to take a day-long trip to Mount Baldy. It is the highest point in Los Angeles, and you can hike and trek to the summit during summer. During winter, it is the best place to go skiing. For experienced climbers, the best way to reach the summit of Mount Baldy would be to trek the whole way, but if you want to reduce the hike’s distance, you can take a lift of 7800 feet to reach the top of the mountain. Finally, the best way to end the trek would be to enjoy lunch at the Top of the Notch Restaurant on your way down.
- Visit Joshua Tree National Park: The Mojave Desert to Joshua Tree National Park is home to famous rock formations like the Skull and the Arch rocks. You can easily spend a day exploring this landscape that looks almost like alien scenery. It is also one of the best places for fiery and bright sunsets.
If you want to enjoy outdoor activities in Los Angeles, you should plan your trip keeping in mind the activities you want to pursue. Also if your’re planning to visit Oahu then check out our guide on Best Things To See In Oahu
BEST PLACES TO EAT IN LOS ANGELES
When you plan a trip to Los Angeles, you need to round it off by paying a visit to the best restaurants in the city. You need to enjoy the gourmet food that the eateries around the city have to offer. Some of the best restaurants in the city are as follows:
- Bestia: This is one of the best LA restaurants with some top chefs. The chef and co-owner Ori Menashe offers guests some of the best Italian dishes you can enjoy in LA. Here you can enjoy signature restaurant dishes like the spaghetti rustichella and sweets like chocolate budino tart.
- Republique: This restaurant is located in a gothic building that was once Charlie Chaplin’s home studio. You should visit this twenty-four-hour café cum restaurant to enjoy exquisite French and Korean food. Unusual as it might sound, this French-styled California restaurant serves dishes like roast chicken, lobster mafaldine, and beef short rib kimchi fried rice. You can also enjoy different types of cookies, baguettes, loaves of bread, cakes, and tarts served fresh from the kitchen of Republique.
- Hayato: This Michelin-starred restaurant is known for its exquisite gourmet Japanese menu. The chef and co-owner of this restaurant are Brandon Go, and he is known for his precision when it comes to serving food. If you want to enjoy delectable Japanese food made with some fresh produce sourced locally, then you must visit the Hayato.
- Orsa and Winston: If you want to try something new, you must visit Orsa and Winston in LA. This restaurant is known for its fusion dishes and combines Japanese and Italian cuisine. This genre combining cuisine developed by Chef Josef Centeno has earned the restaurant a Michelin star. Here you can taste unique dishes like the scallops and uni in flower-dotted rice porridge or some tempura-like fried shiso leaf under abalone. In addition, the contemporary Asian cuisine offered by the restaurant is a gastronomic delight.
- Bavel: If you want to enjoy Mediterranean, Egyptian, Moroccan, and Turkish cuisine, a visit to Bavel is a must. Here you will find some of the best dishes from across the world. You can enjoy fire-roasted meats, handmade couscous, and the best pita in all of Los Angeles. The restaurant’s ambiance is also excellent, with a more casual and laid-back appeal that goes perfectly with the cuisine.
If you are planning to visit any of these restaurants, it is best to book a table first and then make changes to your trip to ensure that you enjoy lunch and dinner in the restaurant of your choice. Also check our complete Seattle Travel Guide if you have plans to visit washington state,
When planning a trip to Los Angeles, you must read a few blogs to understand the best places to visit. This will also give you an idea of the trip’s length and the activities you must pursue. Once you have done all the research, you will find the trip enjoyable for you and your family.